Synopsis of Recruitment and Selection Project Report
Right person for the right job’ is the basic principle in recruitment and selection. Ever organisation should give attention to the selection of its manpower, especially its managers. The operative manpower is equally important and essential for the orderly working of an enterprise. Every business organisation/unit needs manpower for carrying different business activities smoothly and efficiently and for this recruitment and selection of suitable candidates are essential. Human resource management in an organisation will not be possible if unsuitable persons are selected and employment in a business unit.
1.2.1 Meaning of Recruitment: Recruitment means to estimate the available vacancies and to make suitable arrangements for their selection and appointment. Recruitment is understood as the process of searching for and obtaining applicants for the jobs, from among whom the right people can be selected.
1.2.2 Importance of Recruitment:
- Determine the present and future requirements of the organization on conjunction with its personnel-planning and job analysis activities.
- Increase the pool of job candidates at minimum cost.
1.2.3 Recruitment Process: The process comprises five interrelated stages:
- Stage 1: Recruitment Planning: Planning involves the translation of likely job vacancies and information about the nature of these jobs into set of objectives or targets that specify the (1) Numbers and (2) Types of applicants to be contacted.
- Stage 2: Strategy Development: When it is estimated that what types of recruitment and how many are required then one has concentrate in (1). Make or Buy employees. (2). Technological sophistication of recruitment and selection devices. (3). Geographical distribution of labour markets comprising job seekers. (4). Sources of recruitment. (5). Sequencing the activities in the recruitment process.
- Stage 3: Searching: Search involves two steps; Source activation and Selling
- Stage 4: Screening: Screening of applicants can be regarded as an integral part of the recruiting process.
- Stage 5: Evaluation and Control:
1.2.4 Evaluation of Recruitment Process: Keeping the objective in the mind, the evaluation might include:
- Return rate of application sent out.
- Number of suitable candidates for selection.
- Retention and performance of the candidates selected.
- Cost of the recruitment process
1.2.5 Sources of Recruitment: The sources of recruitment can be broadly categorized into
- Internal Recruitment – Internal recruitment seeks applicants for positions from within the company.
- External Recruitment – External recruitment seeks applicants for positions from sources outside the company.
Selection is defined as the process of differentiating between applicants in order to identify (and hire) those with a greater likelihood of success in a job.
1.3.1 Selection Process: Selection is along process, commencing from the preliminary interview of the applicants and ending with the contract of employment.
1.3.2 Problems in effective selection: The main objective of selection is to hire people having competence and commitment. This objective s often defeated because of certain barriers. The impediments, which check effectiveness of selection, are perception, fairness, validity, reliability and pressure.
1.4 Difference between recruitment and selection: Recruitment is the process of searching for prospective candidates and motivating them to apply for job in the organization. Whereas, selection is a process of choosing most suitable candidates out of those, who are interested and also qualified for job.
1.5 Recruitment and Selection at Infosys
1.5.1 Work at Infosys: A feeling of energy and vitality, of freshness, of a place where people work in a campus like facility and culture, are unafraid to voice new ideas, of a place where there is minimal hierarchy.
1.5.2 Sources of Man Power Supply at Infosys
- Internal Sources: Infosys upgrades from within only for managerial positions, but only to some extent. Because upgrading from within is considered better as the employee is already familiar with the organization, reduces training cost, helps in building morale and promotes loyalty.
- External Sources: For the posts of technicians, engineers, floor managers etc, it looks out for external sources which include; agencies, institutions, websites, advertisements, campus, off campus, Job fairs.
1.5.3 The Selection Process of Infosys :
- Initial screening of interviews: A preliminary interview is conducted so as to select the suitable candidate who can go through further stages of interviews.
- Completion of application forms: Application forms are such framed that, they provide the necessary details to the organisation without affecting the sentiments and feelings of the candidate.
- Employment tests: logical test, English test, Vocabulary, Reasoning, Essay writing
- Formal Interview
- Patterned Interview
- Non-directive Interview
- Depth Interview
- Stress Interview
- Panel Interview
- Mixed Interview
- Second Interviews: Job seekers are invited back after they have passed the first initial interview. More in-depth questions are asked to the candidate and the employer expects a greater level of preparation on the part of the candidates.
- Background Information: INFOSYS requests names, addresses, and telephone numbers of references for the purpose of verifying information and perhaps, gaining additional background information on an applicant.
- Physical Examination
- Final Employment decision
1.6 Recruitment and Selection Procedure at LearningMate
1.6.1 About LearningMate:
LearningMate is a provider of end-to-end eLearning services and solutions designed to meet specific business needs. The range of services varies from enterprise-wide eLearning initiatives to creating custom content based on cost-effective alternatives of delivery.
1.6.2 Sources of Recruitment at LearningMate
LearningMate uses internal sources for recruitment but on a limited basis otherwise normally it uses external sources extensively for its recruitment purposes.
- Present employees
- Employee referrals
- Referral Scheme – Buddy Scheme
- Previous applicants
Barring the nominal use of the internal sources the remainder of the recruiting is done through the external sources which includes,
- Approved Recruitment Consultants and Sub – contractors
- Print Media – Advertisements
- Outstation recruitment
- Websites – subscribed and unsubscribed
- Recruitment consultants and Sub – contractors:
16.3 The Selection Process of LearningMate
- Initial Screening: After receiving the profiles of candidates through the sources as listed above, the matching profiles as per the specifications are generated by the Recruitment Cell.
- Completion of Application Forms: Here the eligible candidates are made to fill in the application forms wherein the company can come to know candidates skills, background, past records, education, activities, health, personal details, languages he knows, work experience, etc.
- Employment Tests: Once the application forms are filled tests are conducted which provides further information to the organisation about the candidate and assists them in selection.
- Interviews: Candidates who pass the test are made to appear for a technical interview in which their technical competence is evaluated for the requirement and is captured by the Technical interviewer in the Interview Feedback Form.
- Reference Checks: The reference check for candidates (Project Manager and above) is done simultaneously with extending the offer. The Recruitment cell conducts a formal / informal reference check with the candidate’s referrals, which then forms a part of the candidate’s profile and assessment.
- Offer And Negotiation: A formal offer of employment is extended to the finally selected candidates.
- Follow-Up And Joining: The Recruitment Cell does a follow up with the candidate who is extended an offer to ensure candidate is joining within the stipulated time.
1.7 Conclusion: One can grasp the strategic implications that the manpower of an organization has in shaping the fortunes of an organization. This is where the complementary roles of Recruitment and Selection come in. The role of these aspects in the contemporary organization is a subject on which the experts have pondered, deliberated and studied, considering the vital role that they obviously play.